SCAN Health Plan Arizona to Offer “Wellness Way of Living” Programs in May
(PHOENIX, Ariz. – April 12, 2012) — Local seniors interested in taking better control of their health are invited to attend free wellness classes sponsored by SCAN Health Plan Arizona in partnership with Empowerment Systems Inc. The following programs are available in May:
- A healthy cooking demonstration and sampling. In honor of National Salad Month, the May demonstration will feature salads and will be held on May 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- As part of the eight-month series called “Wellness Way of Living,” a one-hour workshop on physical activity will be held on May 23 at 10 a.m. The discussion will include the health benefits of physical activity, including disease prevention and control, improved brain function and balance. Participants will also learn:
- Recommended amounts of physical activity.
- Easy ways to add physical activity to their daily routines.
- Tips for staying motivated.
- Exercises for seniors that can be done in the living room.
These classes are open to SCAN members as well as the general public; however, space is limited, so pre-registration is required. Both presentations will be held at the SCAN Connections Resource Center at 1313 E. Osborn Road in Phoenix. Anyone interested in attending may call 602-778-3420 to register.
“Discovering new, interesting and delicious ways to prepare vegetables makes it much easier to infuse more of them into your diet,” said Susan Cypert, senior community resource specialist for SCAN Health Plan Arizona. “Together the healthy cooking demonstrations and wellness presentations offered at the SCAN Connections Resource Center help seniors live healthier, stay active and remain independent.”
For 35 years SCAN Health Plan has been focusing on the unique needs of people with Medicare and today is the fourth-largest not-for-profit Medicare Advantage plan in the United States. SCAN Health Plan Arizona serves approximately 15,000 members in Maricopa and Pima counties. Further information is available at scanhealthplan.com.
Members of the news media may contact: